Soy policy

Kesko recommends that its suppliers use responsible RTRS or ProTerra certified soy in cases where soy feed is used in the production chain of grocery trade private label food products of animal origin. RTRS, ProTerra, Donau Soja/Europe Soya or FairTrade certified soy is recommended for soy-based ingredients of private label food products.

Globally, only a small percentage of all soy produced is used directly for human consumption: most soy produced is used as an ingredient in feeds for farmed animals, and ends up on our tables through meat and dairy products and eggs. In Finland, soy feed is primarily used for pigs, poultry and laying hens, but not as cattle feed to any significant extent.

The largest environmental impacts of the continuous expansion of soy cultivation areas particularly in South America relate to deforestation, the increase in greenhouse gas emissions, the loss of biodiversity, and erosion. Soy cultivation is reported to cause social problems related for instance to land ownership and distribution of income.

As a member of the Round Table on Responsible Soy (RTRS) organisation, Kesko is committed to promoting responsibility in the production chain of soy on a long-term and target-oriented basis. Economic, social and environmental considerations must all be taken into account in the responsible production of soy.

Kesko was a founding member in the Finnish soy commitment group, which operated in 2016-2020. The members of the commitment pledged to ensure that by 2020 all the soy feed used in the production chain of their private label products will be responsibly produced, either RTRS or ProTerra certified soy. The commitment covered both the Finnish production chain and sourcing from other countries.

Kesko recommends that its suppliers use responsible RTRS or ProTerra certified soy in cases where soy feed is used in the production chain of grocery trade private label food products of animal origin. RTRS, ProTerra, Donau Soja/Europe Soya or FairTrade certified soy is recommended for soy-based ingredients of private label products. 

The soy policy was published on 19 February 2016 and updated on 7 April 2022.

Progress of the objectives of the soy policy in 2021 

The objective of the soy policy was achieved in 2019.

100% of the soy used as an ingredient in Pirkka and K-Menu food products sold in 2021 was sustainably produced soy, of which 25.6% was RTRS, Donay Soja/Europe Soya or Proterra certified and the rest was RTRS credited. 100% of the soy used as an ingredient in Kespro Menu food products sold in 2021 was sustainably produced soy, of which 84.5% was RTRS and DonaySoja / Europe Soya certified and the rest was RTRS credited.

About 67% of the soy fodder used for the production of products of animal origin in Pirkka, K-Menu and Menu foods was within the scope of the producers’ own certification procedures. For the remaining 33% we acquired the RTRS credits ourselves.

Progress in 2017-2021:

  2021 2020 2019 2018 2017
Percentage of sustainably produced
soy used as an ingredient in Pirkka
and K-Menu food products
100 100 100 2.2 0
Percentage of sustainably produced
soy used as an ingredient in Menu
food products
100 100 100 74.2 0

 

To top